Hi, my name is Russell Compton, and I am a product design student @ OCADU. For my final year long project, I chose to focus on improving the practice of Urban Agriculture.
I did this for two reasons:
- Because I am a total foodie and have spent 17 years working in the food service industry.
- Also I see a series of trends that point to the increase in Urban Agriculture. Two trends stick out in particular that really underscore this point and they are:
- A continued rise of people living in cities, both locally and abroad.
- To service these people with fresh foods, the agricultural industry continues to adopt questionable methods.
Click on the image above to view the initial concepts for branding materials which were generously provided by Bangers & Mash Inc.
1. Original Problem
The original problem that I tried to solve during this OCAD thesis process, was to improve the prctice of agriculture, in densely populated areas. I felt that there exist a series a macro trends are pointing to an increase in adoption of the practice of urban agriculture, and unfortunately the current products and service solutions were inadequate to requirements of this increased adoption.
The major trends that I beleive will forccee an increase in this practice are
- Human Factors & Ergonomics - Human Scale
- Human Factors & Ergonomics - User Controls
- Human Factors & Ergonomics - Behaviour Traits
- Human Factors & Ergonomics - Current Product & Brand Associations
- Human Factors & Ergonomics - Price Point & Economics
- Human Factors & Ergonomics - User Feedback
- Project Requirements: Human Factors & Ergonomics
- Materials & Technology Overview
- Potential Materials & Technology 1: Slip Cast Ceramics
- Potential Materials & Technology 2: Punch Pressed Stainless Steel